Current Job Openings
We are searching for a passionate candidate who understands communication in the context of history, culture, and politics. We need an organized, thoughtful, and endlessly curious person to join our team.
Tandem is an interdisciplinary communication design studio. We approach our practice with a process-oriented and holistic approach that involves active listening, research, exploration, writing, strategic positioning, and presentations in addition to user experience, graphic design, illustration, photography, video, and animation. We’re a tight-knit and compassionate group of people that work closely together on challenging subject matter. Our clients range from national social advocacy organizations and cause-based brands in the racial justice, climate justice, and voter/civic engagement space to local progressive political candidates.
Ideally you have 3-5 years comparable experience in a design studio or agency setting. If your experience isn’t directly comparable, but you still think you’d be a good fit, tell us why you think so in three sentences or fewer at the outset of your application email.
This is currently a remote position. Applicants outside of the greater NYC area are welcome to apply with the understanding that this will likely be an in-person position within the year.
Tandem is in the process of scaling and we hope this candidate is open to growing into a leadership role, contributing to our company culture & process, and taking on more responsibility in the near future.
To succeed in this role, you should have a heightened attention to detail, excellent time management, and be a skilled communicator as you’ll collaborate with clients and internal teams to deliver results on deadlines.
You should thrive and excel in a fast-paced and challenging work environment, anticipating and solving problems and juggling between tasks.
If you are interested in participating in nuanced conversations surrounding challenging social issues, this position is for you.
– Critical thinking & deductive reasoning
– Great at collaboration
– Comfortable presenting and leading meetings
– Strong interpersonal and conflict management skills
– An ability to quickly adapt to novel software & systems
– A conscientious and strategic approach to problem solving
– Comfortable with technology (Office, Slack, Google Drive, Google Slides, Adobe Suite)
– A strong interest in learning and improving
– Technical writing or copywriting abilities
– Comfort with feedback and critique
– Precision-oriented; strong attention to detail and change requests
– An ability to work in a fast-paced, intense work environment
– Flexible, intuitive, and proactive
– Able to anticipate client needs
– Solid organizational skills, including multitasking and time-management
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills
– Ability to work effectively with a range of project leaders and stakeholders
– Proven work experience as a Project Coordinator or similar role from conception to delivery (3+ years experience), experience working in a studio environment is a plus
– Experience managing design projects
– Experience with proposal writing and invoicing
– Experience with nonprofits/advocacy orgs, public speaking/presentation experience, and Spanish or other language skills are a big plus
– Represent Tandem as a point of contact for clients and third-party vendors;
– Oversee project procurement and scheduling;
– Work with the team to analyze risks and opportunities of upcoming and potential projects;
– Help prepare, discuss, and negotiate budgets with clients;
– Write, edit, and assist with the strategy for project content and client presentations;
– Support the project team with all administrative needs, including but not limited to: handling billing and invoicing, daily correspondence, scheduling of meetings and conference calls, travel arrangements, and issuing all appropriate legal paperwork (e.g. contracts and terms of agreement);
– Attend internal and client-facing meetings, tracking feedback, requested revisions, and new scope items, noting next steps and due dates to ensure timely completion of all deliverables;
– Liaise with clients and partners to identify and define requirements, scope, timeline, and objectives of upcoming projects;
– Create, maintain, and archive comprehensive project documentation, plans, and reports;
– Work with project designers to identify needs, set schedules, and assign tasks when necessary;
– Monitor project progress from concept development to final delivery and handle any issues that arise;
– Act as the point of contact and communicate project status to all participants; and
– Make sure that clients’ needs are met as projects evolve.
– You may be asked to perform tasks or take on responsibilities large and small that help the team outside of this delineated list (e.g. taking turns putting out the trash/recycling at the office).
Salary range is negotiable and commensurate with experience.
How To Apply:
We read every cover letter and value diverse perspectives.
Does this role sound like a good fit? Send PDFs of your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email, please include the following:
- Work samples, writing samples, and/or relevant project experience.
- Tell us a little bit about yourself: do you draw and paint in your free time, read and write for fun, volunteer on the weekends, have an interesting hobby?
- Why you think you would be a good fit at Tandem.
© 2020 Tandem Design NYC